If you want to increase your CPU frequency, you need to overclock it. If you choose to change the frequency of your CPU, you need to know the positive and negative aspects of this process. If you don’t know how to do this process properly, you may damage your laptop. Therefore, in this article, we are going to tell you how to overclock your laptop.
Overclock the BIOS Of Your Laptop
If you are well acquainted with your system’s BIOS, which is software located on the motherboard, and want to know how to overclock laptops, you need to use this method. The steps are mentioned below:
- First, you need to know the overclocking capabilities of the motherboard and CPU that you have on your laptop. Intel, AMD, don’t always allow overclocking. Additionally, companies who sell these products may put their own blocks in place to prevent it. In order to know if it can be done, start by checking the manufacturer’s website. Additionally, you should have proper knowledge about the technical details as well as terminology involved in the process before trying to adjust the clock speed of CPU.
- Secondly, you have to start your laptop and press F3 or F1 or F8 key (depends upon the brand of your laptop) in order to enter into BIOS mode. Now, go to the CPU settings page or ‘CPU Frequency’ option. The name might be different in your case as it depends upon the hardware. However, if you are an HP or Dell user, you cannot overclock your laptop using this method as these companies do not allow its users to make any change in CPU.
- Thirdly, you have to enable the Host Clock Controller that you will find in the CPU settings page and then increase the frequency by in small increments – around five percent may be good. Now save it and restart the laptop.
If the OS becomes unstable after increasing frequency, just reduce it by 5 percent and check the stability.
Overclock Using Software
If you are an HP or Dell user and want to know how to overclock laptop, you can choose this method:
- First, you need to install overclocking software, as well as stress testing software.
- Secondly, you need to go to the CPU settings page through the overclocking software.
- Now, increase the CPU frequency by 20 percent by adjusting the front-side bus multiplier.
- If you want to check the stability of your laptop, use the stress testing software.
Overclock Through Turbo Boost Or AMD Overdrive
If you want to know how to overclock laptops without using generic software, this third method will be perfect for you. You need overclocking software, testing tools, and a laptop cooler in this method.
- Install Intel Turbo Boost or AMD Overdrive software and go through the documentation thoroughly.
- Secondly, follow the instructions and increase CPU frequency. You should not increase it beyond the recommended parameters.
- Thirdly, you need to do a stress-test for a minimum of 12 hours. If you do not find any issues regarding the stability of the laptop, you can keep this overclock level.
You should always enable the laptop fan while increasing CPU frequency using this method. Moreover, remove the battery before following these steps to prevent damage. If you think the laptop overheating, shut the computer down and revert settings to normal.
Overclocking laptops isn’t always a good decision. On the PC side of things, when using a larger tower, there is more airflow and room for larger fans or water cooling. PC enthusiasts love to overclock their systems and improve performance. Because of the side of the laptop and smaller fans, excess heat caused by overclocking can greatly diminish the life of your system or cause immediate system failure.
If you go ahead with overclocking your system, make sure you understand these risks.